A very dear friend of mine asked if I would entertain the idea of making caramel apples with her! I had never made them before…but I am ALWAYS up for a food challenge, so of course I obliged! It may have helped that I absolutely LOVE caramel apples and I was up for some fellowship 🙂 We had a wonderful time together and made some pretty amazing apples! Here is our story….
(We multiplied the recipe for a bake sale, I am giving you a recipe for 6 apples- you may multiply as desired)
Granny Smith Apples, Sugar, White Corn Syrup, Sweetened and Condensed Milk, Salt, Butter, Vanilla, Parchment paper (Skewers- I purchased nice ones at Jo-Ann Fabrics)
|Wash your apples thoroughly…get as much wax off as possible.|
|The making of the caramel sauce: In a heavy saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, milk, and salt mixing well.|
keep mixing…the color changes, like so.
|And here we have caramel! Who would have thunk it was so easy?!|
Here is the fun part…set up your “apple dressing buffet” We had nuts, crushed Butterfinger, white choc chips, mini M&Ms, melted chocolates, Heath, and marshmallows. (I would suggest to pick no more than 3 to start off with)
|Lay parchment paper down and butter|
After the caramel cools for about 5 mins….stick your apple at the top end and start dipping and rolling in your toppings….
(This is Butterfinger)
|This one was splashed with chocolate and dipped in Heath..(YUM)|
|My kidos favorite…the mini M&M monstrosity!|
- 6 wooden skewers
- 6 Medium Granny Smith (green apples)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup white corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- desired toppings & parchment paper
- In heavy saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, milk and salt mixing well.
- Cook over medium heat stirring gently but constantly until soft ball stage (if you are using a thermometer it will be about 230 degrees- but I go by color).
- This will take you about 30 mins.
- Remove from heat and cool for about 5 mins and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool again about 5 mins- you then may begin coating caramel over apples to cover fully...then dip in your desired topping.
- Place on buttered parchment paper...when finished with all apples, transport to dish and cool in refrigerator for 2 hours before enjoying!