Oh. Wow. This recipe may not get a prize for guiltless pleasure….but let me tell you something- it is AWESOME. I have to really like something to have it for leftovers. I had this for dinner, then a second bowl at 8pm then for lunch the next day, and then seconds. UGH! I can’t think of a time I have ever done this! lol! Nevertheless, I had to share it with you….be careful-it’s addicting!
P.S.- Guess what?! 6 months on a strict “elimination diet” and I have just found out that my diary intolerance is very mild-so I can have it sparingly! Wohoo. I *may have over done it a bit in this dish, shhhh. No eggs or gluten for life, but it’s ok if I can splurge every so often on treats like this one!
Dice onions and celery
Boil elbow noodles until al dente (package instructions). These are gluten-free rice noodles…very little difference. (bread, that is a different story)
Shred a purchased rotisserie chicken by pulling it apart into chunks with a fork. Mmm…these always smell so good.
Saute onions, and celery in butter and add chicken and garlic.
Add Franks Red Hot Sauce
Slice Pepper Jack and Cheddar Cheeses…
In a sauce pan melt butter, add flour (This was gluten- free flour).
Add milk, half and half, and the rest of the hot sauce until thickened. Then add cheese.
Add sour cream
Melt remaining butter in a small bowl, add crushed corn flakes and blue cheese. (If you are not gluten intolerant, Panko also works well!)
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (I used gluten- free elbow noodles)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 rotisserie chicken (flaked with fork)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup hot sauce (preferably Frank's)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used gluten- free flour)
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 8 ounces yellow sharp cheddar cheese cut into cubes
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes
- Add ½ cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Whisk in the milk and half-and-half, then add the remaining ¼ cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni.
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the corn flakes, blue cheese.
- Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving