Put all cake ingredients into a large bowl (Don’t you love that?)
Bake 35 mins in a 350 oven until nice and golden brown. (I used a throw away 9×13 and doubled the recipe- this was a meal ministry)
Beat together topping: Coconut, brown sugar, butter and milk. ( I know, I know)
While the cake is warm, gently spread topping over top- this works well with a butter knife. Broil on low for a few mins until lightly browned on top- do not over broil!
And away it goes to a teacher meeting!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose or 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- ¾ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- Broiled Coconut Frosting
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease bottom and sides of square pan, 8 X 8 X 2 (or you may double recipe and 9x13)
- Beat all ingredients except Broiled Coconut Frosting with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Make Broiled Coconut Frosting.
- Set oven control to broil (low).
- Carefully spread frosting over hot cake.
- Broil with top of cake about 4 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until frosting is light brown.
- Watch carefully so frosting does not burn.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool.