Oooo…this recipe is a keeper! It’s simple, gluten-free and delicious. I’ll be making this on a monthly basis for sure!!! Love when I find new recipes that work out so well! Wohoo!
The first time I saw this recipe was on Skinny Taste-I altered the recipe a bit to fit the ingredients I had on hand and to keep it simple, but if you’re interested in a lower-fat version, definitely check out the original recipe!
Slice 3 zucchini’s lengthwise. Take a spoon and scrape out seeds like so..
Blanch zucchini in hot water for 2 mins.
Start shredding your mozzarella! I have an excellent assistant, if I do say so myself.
Brown and drain 1 package of Bob Evans Italian Sausage.
***** If you don’t think your children will like the Zucchini I recommend boiling some noodles and making spaghetti with sauce/cheese**** It’s a small extra step, but worth it.
Pour 1/2 cup of marinara on the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Fill zucchini planks with Italian sausage, pour marinara sauce over top, sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and top with garlic powder and oregano. Bake covered in a 375 oven for 35 mins until bubbly.
*You don’t have to make your own marinara -I recommend Newman’s Own Marinara if you’re looking for a good jarred sauce!
Who could resist? Delicious!
- 3 large zucchinis
- 1 lb Bob Evan’s Italian Sausage
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Oregano
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Slice zucchini’s and scoop out seeds.
- Blanch zucchini’s for 2 mins in boiling water.
- Pour ½ cup of marinara on the bottom of a 9×13 pan and set zucchini on top.
- Brown and drain Italian sausage.
- Fill zucchini’s with Italian sausage, top with remaining marinara sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, garlic powder and oregano.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 mins or until bubbly.