I was eating breakfast with my dear friend Melanie when started talking about what we craved while we were pregnant. Mel mentioned how she craved Cracker Barrel’s to pancakes topped with hot blackberries . Ooooo….that sounded so good!!! So, I just had to take a “crack” at making them myself. So, in honor of pregnancy cravings and friendship- here’s the recipe. Mmmmmm……
Smoosh 2 small cartons of blackberries like so… (thank you, girls- great job!)
*As we were smooshing, we talked about how people used to dye their clothing with berries just like these!
After about 3-5 minutes of smooshing…this is what you’ll get.
Pour into a medium saucepan placed on medium heat. Add sugar (this is how I measure when I don’t blog- the truth comes out!)
Take some of your syrup out and add cornstarch to make a paste. Add it back into the pan and stir until liquid thickens slightly.
Ladle on top of your pancakes with butter and enjoy!
- 2 small cartons (8 oz each) Blackberries
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar (to liking)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Place blackberries in a bowl and smash with a fork until you get a chunky liquid
- Pour in a medium saucepan on medium heat
- Add sugar
- Take a small amount of the liquid out and add cornstarch to make a paste
- Add paste back into liquid and stir until slightly thickened
- Pour over pancakes and serve with butter and maple syrup (if desired)