There is something about the comfort ham and scalloped potatoes bring to a family table. You and your family are going to love this recipe- it’s a staple in my home. This is actually one of my daughter’s favorite side dishes.
Although you need to spend a few more minutes peeling potatoes, use a food processor or slicer to speed up the process in slicing your potatoes. By having each slice of potato even also helps with even baking. Enjoy!
- 4 lbs of potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese (use 2 cups for sauce and set aside 1 cup for the topping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour to make a roux
- Add milk, continue stirring with a whisk.
- Sauce will become thicker and smooth.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a prepared 9x13 pan.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with more salt and pepper
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.