Peel and chop garlic
Saute onions and garlic in olive oil on med-high heat. When onions start to soften, add chili powder and cumin
Add broth and water
Turn heat up and let simmer for 15 mins
Turn down heat
Take an immersion blender and blend right into the pot of soup. This willliquify some of the beans making a thicker/creamy texture and will leave some beans in tact. If you do not have an immersion blender, please do not let this stop you from making this recipe! Simply take half of the soup and blend it in an actual blender or food processor and place back with remaining soup.
Scoop a cup of rice into your serving bowl. (I just used a simple minute rice here)
Pour soup over top and garnish with fresh cilantro! ( I had 2 helpings of this, which is NOT typical- it was THAT good!)
- 2 cans of seasoned black beans (drained, not rinsed)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- White Rice (I used minute rice, follow instructions on box for 4 people)
- In a large pot saute onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 15 mins.
- Take an immersion blender right into the pot so that some beans are blended and some remain in tact.
- Place a cup of rice in a bowl and pour in soup, garnish with fresh cilantro!