Autumn is my favorite time of year…when the air cools, the sun shines, and the leaves turn color. One of the first things I want to do with my children is to take them to the many wonderful apple orchards we have in our area. We pick so many that our home is bursting at the seams with apples!! Here is one of my favorite apple recipes… you will LOVE the smell and taste of this comfort dish. Add it as a side, eat it alone, or top it “a la mode” (ice cream)…. enjoy!
Water, brown sugar, flour, butter, salt, cinnamon and apples – looks like one got away in the background! Oops!
Start making your homemade caramel sauce by placing in the sauce pan the brown sugar, water, butter, salt, and flour.
Heat until bubbling-it will thicken.
Peel, core and cut apples into med sized chunks
Dot with butter and bake
Fresh out of the oven…
An amazing accompaniment to pork chops.
- 8 apples peeled, cored, cut into chuncks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- extra butter for dotting
- spinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Put all sauce ingredients into a saucepan and bring to soft boil-it will thicken and turn into a caramel/gravy texture.
- Place apples in baking dish and cover with caramel and stir.
- Dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour stirring at the 30 min mark.