Hi Ladies, we have a special guest today! Katina will be talking about something I know many of us struggle with…stress. It can come on quickly and keep us captive for a lot longer than we want, can’t it? Here are some ways to help manage it when it creeps up on us…please welcome my dear friend, Katina.
We all know that word.
Some people know it a little more than others. But in the end, we’ve all experienced some degree of stress at different points in our lives. Some days I am able to diffuse it better than others. But then there are the days where the stress is so great that I feel like someone literally set a one-hundred pound weight on my shoulders. There was one particular day recently where I had completely come undone because I had allowed the stress of the previous two weeks to accumulate. I woke up that morning with such a heavy spirit. And then my day started unraveling before me…and it just got worse and worse. I came to a point where I was not liking my behavior….and I knew in that moment that I had a choice.
Do I continue on with this stress and negativity—or do I think about ways that I can get out of this whirlwind of emotions that has pulled me under?
I took a deep breath and made a decision to not let this stress control me any longer. These are the five things that I chose to do in that moment, and….wow…they powerfully transformed my heart and my mind.
- Ask someone for prayer and encouragement. This might be one of the hardest things to do because it requires vulnerability. You also have to be wise with who you ask because you don’t want that person to “add fuel to the fire”. When someone is interceding for you and giving you encouraging words and verses…it is so very, very powerful. “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” ~James 5:16
- Spend time in His Word. We all know that we should be doing this, but sometimes, our emotions and stresses are so high that we feel very frazzled and don’t know what to read in that moment. That’s okay. Don’t wait until you are feeling calm to open up your bible. Come as you are. He will guide you and speak to your heart. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” ~Matthew 11:28
- Get on your knees and talk to Him. Call out to God in prayer…ask Him to change your heart and your attitude. He loves you so very much. “Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” ~1 Peter 5:7
- Put on praise and worship music. Ohh, this is so very powerful and transforms my attitude almost immediately. I use the Pandora app on my phone and have it set to the praise and worship radio station so that I can access it pretty quickly. “Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise. Give thanks to him; bless his name.” ~Psalm 100:4
- Choose an activity that will calm your spirit. We all have different activities that help us to de-stress. Some people enjoy exercising; some enjoy making crafts….for me, it is a hot bubble bath. Whatever it is, choose something that will help to relax your body. “He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.” ~Psalm 23:2-3
Friends, there will be stressful moments where we don’t have the time to do all of these, and that’s okay. Choose one or two of them, or whatever is fitting to your situation. Once you start doing these actions more consistently, you will be able to diffuse your stress and it will become a natural response!
Katina is a Christian wife, mom and licensed nurse. Her ministry is event planning for her church and other christian organizations and blogs. Additionally, you can find her sharing encouraging posts, crafting ideas and organizational tips here on Finding Comfort at Comfy in the Kitchen.